To get your skin closer to perfection, take the time to prep and prime.
Beautiful skin ultimately comes down to genetics the rest TLC, so aim to drink plenty of water, be sun smart and have a good simple skin regime, one that involves moisturiser, as it is this product that will help enhance your skin instantly prior to applying your foundation.
The trick is to apply it directly after cleansing while your face is still warm and damp – the result is softer smoother skin, for longer. Also allow it to absorb for 5mins or more to avoid foundation slipping off a few hours later.
Tip: If your face naturally has a matte or slightly dry looking finish (which typically occurs as you age and/or go through hormonal changes), opt for a moisturiser and/or primer with illuminating properties to emulate a youthful healthy glow.
To enhance your skin’s texture further and to add more ‘glide’ to your foundation application, as well as help give your foundation extra longevity, invest in a primer.
If you have open pores and/or fine lines look for a primer that fills and smoothes such as a Blur Cream and if your skin looks particularly matte and flat go for an illuminating primer. If you fall into both categories then get both.
To apply simply distribute evenly between fingers and smooth over your face like a moisturiser.
Filler primers and blur creams are better applied, where needed, in a daub and roll motion and illuminating primers, can just be applied all over or only to your highlight areas such as cheekbones, temples, bridge of nose, middle of chin and/or the bow above the upper lip.
Primers are typically worn before applying foundation but illuminating products and blur creams can be daubed on after your base, if you prefer.
NB: Powdery foundations can react unfavorably with blur creams so test it on your hand prior to applying.
Our primer picks:
- L’Oréal Paris Lumi Magique Primer: illuminates skin beautifully, giving it a flattering youthful glow. RRP $3
- MAC Prep & Prime Natural Radiance: smoothes skin, evens out skin tone and controls oil. RRP $99
- Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer: deals to open pores, fine lines and shine. NEW! RRP $76
- Benefit POREfessional Smoothing Resurfacing Primer: smoothes and reduces the look of fine lines and pores. RRP $58
- Lancôme La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer: makes skin look and feel silky smooth. Foundation glides on like a breeze. RRP $79
Feature Image Credits:
Hair & Makeup: Lisa Matson
Photography: Aaron K