The key to dressing a triangle (pear) body type is to draw attention to your upper body while deemphasizing your lower body to create a balanced appearance. To create a flattering body line invest in shape wear designed to smooth the line of your hips and thighs and lift your bottom.
Here are our tips for dressing to your shape:
- Tops with wide necklines.
- Tops with shoulder or bust detailing/embellishments to draw the attention upward.
- Puffed or ruched sleeved looks.
- Tops and jackets that accentuate your waist.
- Fitted shirts with darted waists and front pocket detailing.
- Jackets, hip bone length, with structured shoulders are particularly flattering.
- Button through cardigans.
- Layering pieces to build upper body volume.
NB: A padded bra and/or shoulder pads will also help to create ‘body balance’.
- Straight or wide legged pants that fall straight down from the widest part of your hip.
- Boot cut jeans.
- Pants with simple or no pockets and mid-rise waist.
- A-line or flared skirts that fit snuggly at the waist.
- Skirt lengths that sit just below the knee or longer.
- A-line dresses – retro cuts are particularly flattering.
- Wrap or crossover dresses with full skirts.
- Bandeau maxi dresses.
- Spaghetti straps or strapless looks with any of the aforementioned dress styles.
NB: Like skirts go for lengths on or just below the knee or longer.
Colours and prints
- Light and bright coloured tops.
- Dark coloured bottoms.
- Block colours but ensure, if two toned, the darkest shade is below the waist or down the sides.
- Bold prints and patterns above the waist.
- Super subtle prints or patterns below the waist.
- Lightweight matte fabrics, with a soft drape that skim your curves like cotton, polyester-blends and viscose or light wool blends on your bottom half. Nothing too bulky or clingy.
- Any seasonal trend fabric that can draw attention to your top half, for example leather, sequins, chiffon anything embellished or textured.
- Belts or ties to show off your small waist.
- Statement necklaces and earrings.
- High heels (pointed toes are best), platforms and wedges to elongate your legs.
Celebrities with Triangle Body Shapes
- Jennifer Lopez
- Nicki Minaj