An inverted triangle body type is recognised by its broad shoulders and chest, and narrow hips. To balance the proportions of this frame you need to take emphasis off the shoulders and add more around the hips.
Here are our tips for adding balance to your shape:
- Tops with a deep V, scoop or plunging necklines.
- Off the shoulder or strapless tops.
- Loose tops fitted or pulled in at the waist.
- Empire line tops or shirts.
- Sleeveless or long sleeved tops.
- Wrap tops.
- Soft draping or tailored shirts and blouses.
- Soft shouldered jackets (nothing padded) with deep V necklines.
- Jackets that finish at the hipbone.
- Jackets that nip in or are belted at the waist and flare at the hip – peplum styles are a great option.
- Button through cardigans and fine knits (nothing chunky or heavy).
- Wide legged or flared pants that fall straight down from the widest part of your hip.
- Boot cut or flared jeans with a low or mid-rise waist.
- Cargo or harem pants.
- Fitted or straight skirts with detailing – pockets, layers or frills for example – that add width to your hips.
- Shorts with front pleats, pocket detailing or embellishments around hips and/or the bottom. Select the length that best suits your leg length and shape.
- A-line skirts.
- Full, tiered or tulle skirts with a fitted waist.
- Skirts with fringing.
- A skirt length that flatters your legs; but nothing too short unless you want to highlight the width of your shoulders.
- Dresses that have a dark colored bodice and light or bright skirt.
- Strapless, sleeveless or deep V necked dresses with a full or tiered skirt and a nipped in or belted waist.
- A-line dresses.
- Dresses with an empire waist line.
- Wrap dresses that tie on, or just above, the waist.
- Any dress, day or evening, that has it’s widest point through the hem. If you’re thinking ball dress go fishtail.
Colours and prints
- Light and/or bright coloured bottoms or block coloured ensembles.
- Medium to dark hued tops.
- Dark coloured bottoms look best if you keep to styles mentioned above.
- Any print or pattern as long as it’s worn all over or just on your bottom half. Small patterned tops can be balanced if you favour lighter or brighter bottoms.
- Soft draping matte fabrics for your top half – cotton, chiffon, polyester-blends and viscose or light wool blends.
- Any seasonal trend fabric that can draw attention or add bulk to your bottom half such as leather, sequins, satin, metallic fabrics, anything embellished, textured or heavy in weight.
- Belts that emphasize your waist or add bulk to you hips.
- Long necklaces that draw the eye away from the upper body.
- Statement shoes – embellished, metallic, white or bright.
Celebrities with Inverted Triangle Body Shapes
- Angelina Jolie
- Cameron Diaz
- Naomi Campbell